Sexual harassment in your place of work is not legal and you must report this issue by filing a formal complaint with your employer. If your employer does not take your case seriously, you should sit down with one of the best Queens Sexual Harassment Lawyers to go over the details of your situation.  

Sexual harassment in the workplace is never acceptable. But, despite the frequency with which people speak out against it, cases of sexual harassment are still on the rise. However, victims are not to blame. Those who perpetrate sexual harassment and complacently accept it are the ones to be blamed. If you are a victim of a harasser, you need to concentrate on what to do at this point. An experienced attorney can help you advocate for your rights and move forward. Sexual harassment may result in emotional anguish and even physical injuries as well as important questions. Your attorney can address a lot of related concerns. 

Starting a Queens Sexual Harassment Claim

The laws that govern sexual harassment are complicated; however, you can take advantage of federal, state, and local laws to support your claim for damages with the help of your lawyer. Under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, discrimination driven by sex is prohibited. Also, the New York Human rights Law and the New York City Human Rights Law offer legal rights to the individual. Your attorney will help determine the laws that offer the best chance of success with your facts. 

Under different laws, you can take different approaches. For example, you might have to file an administrative claim. You must initiate your claim under the laws that give the best chance of success, depending on your situation. Under the different laws, you could be eligible for unpaid wages, pain and suffering, compensatory damage awards for emotional distress, and punitive damage awards. 

Letting Your Lawer Handle Sexual Harassment Reports

Before you decide to take any action, a sexual harassment lawyer can help you create a plan on how to move forward. You may want to file an internal report about the situation with your attorney. You may have to follow their documented policies and procedures. Make sure to record and keep copies of all reactions from your employer. Your attorney can assist you to inform your company or take further action if the company does not handle your complaint correctly.